Dinner For Three

9:17 AM


My husband and I live in an apartment with a dinning room sized for umpa-loompas. We have room enough for one small, square dinning table and two matching stools. Of course, once we realized that we occassionally might want to eat with other people and went to purchase two more stools, they were no longer made (Darn you, Ikea!). We shortly thereafter became the proud owners of two new stools, though totally mismatched. I like to think of it as Ikea Shabby-Chic - and for us, it does the trick.

Besides the chairs, entertaining for dinner in our minscule - albeit lovely - dinning room (if you can even call it that) and kitchen is a bit of a challenge. Consequently I have never hosted a proper sit down dinner in all my life - this is a true tragedy! Though I do sometimes wonder if taking this next step in hosting will be more trouble than its worth..."I need to set the table...napkings, okay - oh wait, I only have 4 of the flowered pattern and 3 of the red....and placemats, where are the...wait, do we even own placemats? Floral arrangement....no comment."


Anyway, I digress. The point is - it is almost impossible to have a proper sit down dinner in my current living arrangement which leads us to the inevitable question - what to make?

In these instances, and for most entertaining, I find myself relying on two things: my slow cooker and a lot of wine. This time however, I ventured in another direction and opted for something just as good reheated as when eaten fresh out of the oven, a simple Quiche Lorraine. I love a good quiche. This particular one is from SmittenKitchen.com, with a few adjustments of mine.


I think I quiche says all the right things to a dinner guest - it's homey and elegant, indulgent and light, all at the same time. 


QUICHE LORRAINE RECIPE:
(adapted from Smitten Kitchen, who adapted from Le Pain Quotidien)

1 3/4 cups diced leeks, white and light green only (about one large leek)
3/4 cup diced onion
2 1/2 teaspoons olive oil (I used one tablespoon)
1 1/4 cups flour
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
Salt
6 tablespoons butter, diced
4 eggs, divided
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream (I used half and half)
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sour cream
Pinch nutmeg
Pinch pepper
1 1/2 cups diced ham (I added a bit extra, about 1 3/4 cups)
3/4 cup grated Swiss cheese (Gruyere would be great here too)


Heat a large sauté pan over low heat. Sauté the leeks and onions in the olive oil 30 to 40 minutes until caramelized, occasionally stirring. Remove from heat and cool.

Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the flour, cornstarch and one-fourth teaspoon salt. Pulse until just combined. Cube the butter and to the food processor (make sure it's cold!) and mix until tiny balls form. Add one egg and mix it until a dough forms.

On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to a 12-inch circle. Place the dough in a 9-inch pie plate and press to remove any air bubbles. Crimp the edges, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

While the quiche shell chills, mix the heavy cream (or half and half) and sour cream in a medium bowl. Whisk in the remaining three eggs. Add a pinch each nutmeg, salt and pepper and combine to form a batter. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Remove the quiche shell from the refrigerator and spread the leek and onion mixture evenly over the base. Sprinkle the ham and then the cheese over the leeks and onions. Pour in the batter and place the quiche in the oven.

Bake until puffed and golden, about 25 to 30 minutes (I had to bake for about 35 minutes). Remove from the oven and cool slightly on a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

I refrigerated the quiche since I made it ahead of time. To re-heat, I place it in the oven on 300 degrees for 30 minutes. If the edges are browning too much, place foil around the crust.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Copyright Tomatoes & Tequila, K. McNamara. Powered by Blogger.

Like us on Facebook

Blogs

Pages

Flickr Images