Cornmeal and Chive Waffles (With Eggs and Salsa)

4:45 PM



I am continuing my effort to not just eat oatmeal for breakfast. I found this recipe on Joy the Baker. Do you read Joy? I like Joy - she seems fun.

I have a theory that Mexican flavors were made for breakfast. Think about it. You could take nearly any Mexican dish, add eggs and call it breakfast. The flavors and ingredients - onion, cumin, chili powder, chipotle in adobo, refried beans, tortillas - were made for breakfast. These waffles play on those flavors we all love, combining onion, cornmeal and salsa in everyone's favorite, waffles.


Speaking of waffles, have you been to Belgium? They make the best waffles. Not with Mexican flavors, but with Nutella and strawberries - mmmmm, strawberries and chocolate with doughy goodness. I love Belgium. I digress....back to the Cornmeal and Chive Waffles.

I do have a couple of suggestions for these waffles you might consider.
  • A chipotle sour cream would go a long way
  • I recommend pico de gallo over other salsas since these waffles need a bit of moisture, a mild salsa that you can use a lot of would be better (I used a really spicy one so couldn't add much and thus the dish was a bit dry)
  • Corn kernels (I prefer frozen over canned, fresh if they are in season) in the batter would be a nice, sweet touch
CORNMEAL AND CHIVE WAFFLES WITH EGGS AND SALSA RECIPE
(Joy the Baker)

1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. cornmeal (fine cornmeal is good, but I love a coarse grind for this recipe)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. coarse ground black pepper
1/3 c. melted unsalted butter
2 large eggs
1 1/4 c. buttermilk
3 tbl. chopped chives
2 tbl. chopped parsley
Salsa and eggs

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, baking soda,  and salt.
In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, butter, and buttermilk.  Add the wet ingredients, all at once to the dry ingredients.  Add the chives and parsley.  Stir until just incorporated.  Do not over mix, waffle batter should be a bit lumpy.

Cook up eggs as desired. Serve waffles with eggs and salsa, as well as any other desired toppings such as cheese, sour cream or cilantro.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Copyright Tomatoes & Tequila, K. McNamara. Powered by Blogger.

Like us on Facebook

Blogs

Pages

Flickr Images