Oatmeal Raisin and Bacon Cookies

8:46 PM


I feel that I have not been honest with you. I was looking back through my last couple months of posts and noticed that most of them are very decadent. Lots of cookies, like high altitude chocolate chip cookies; cocktails, like fresh strawberry margaritas; decadent breakfasts, like pineapple upside down pancakes; and just plain bad-for-you things, like pecan sticky buns. You see, I don't really eat like that. My friends and family would tell you that I am normally watching what I eat, I tend to eat light, "California style" foods, and I work out several days a week.

Don't get me wrong, I wish I ate like that - or rather, I wish I could eat like that. But alas, I was not blessed with the metabolism of a super model. Normally when I make these things it is because I want to share something here that is different than my day-to-day meals. I usually eat a small amount of these luscious creations and then send them with the hubby to work for him to share with his coworkers.

I struggle with this. Should my blog be a place to share wonderful, decadent foods that are not typically part of  my "real life?" Or should I share the simple, fresh dishes of my everyday world? I worry that the everyday dishes are too boring. I am constantly focused on so many "dull" things regarding what I eat. Budget, nutritional content, calories, time needed for preparation, and using up food in my kitchen so I waste very little. When I started this blog, I intended to use it as a place to share the dishes of my food fantasy world. I think I have done that. But now that I look back at many of my posts, I am not sure the cumulative effect I have created is representative of "me."

Which brings me to Oatmeal Raisin and Bacon Cookies. Just add these to the list of unnecessary but supremely delicious dishes I have been making lately. The hubby tells me these had mixed reviews at his work. I can see that. Bacon in dessert is not for everyone. But if you want the most perfect combination of savory/sweet, then you have to try these. I have noted the high altitude adjustments below for you fellow mountain-folk. Tell me what ya' think!

OATMEAL RAISIN  AND BACON COOKIES RECIPE
(adapted from bon appetit)

8 slices bacon
1/2  c. (1 stick) plus 6 tablespoons butter, softened
3/4  c. firmly packed brown sugar (minus 1 tbl. for high altitude)
1/2  c. granulated sugar (minus 1/2 - 1 tbl. for high altitude)
2  eggs
1  tsp. vanilla
1-1/2  c. all-purpose flour (plus 1/4 c. for high altitude)
1  tsp. baking soda (3/4 tsp. for high altitude)
1  tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2  tsp. salt
3  c. oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1  c. raisins

Heat oven to 350°F.

Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Chop bacon into a 1/2 inch dice. Add to pan and cook until crispy. When done, remove from pan with a slotted spoon and place onto paper towels to allow the fat to continue to drain off. Set aside. 

While bacon is cooking, in large bowl, beat butter and sugars on medium speed of electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Add oats and raisins and bacon; mix well.

Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Copyright Tomatoes & Tequila, K. McNamara. Powered by Blogger.

Like us on Facebook

Blogs

Pages

Flickr Images