Roasted Tomato Macaroni & Cheese

7:44 PM


I travel for work a bit more than the average bear. My most recent trip - a couple months ago - was 4 weeks spent in Seattle. It was my first trip to Seattle, and I had big expectations for this other Pacific Coast foodie mecca.


One particular night, I was feeling a little blue. It was still cold, late spring, very windy and I was traveling alone. After a few weeks of testing the local restaurant scene, I just wanted a comfy, homey meal.  I was feeling homesick, and comfort food was seriously in order.



I found myself in a restaurant near my hotel downtown, the name of which I can't even recall. I ordered the couscous with cherry tomatoes. Little did I know, this would be one the best, most satisfying meals I can recall. It was nothing but a large, steaming bowl of Isreali couscous with bursting cherry tomatoes, smothered in a creamy, mellow cheese sauce. Nothing short of divine.



I have often thought of this meal. Tonight, I tried to recreate it, recalling it from memory. I didn't have enough couscous in the house so I opted for penne. I think it turned out exceptionally well. I used a mix of mild swiss and tangy Irish cheddar which balanced so wonderfully with the sweet tomatoes.


ROASTED TOMATO MACARONI & CHEESE RECIPE
(serves 2 huge portions)


1 pint cherry tomatoes
1 tbl. olive oil
3 cloves garlic
4oz pasta or couscous, any kind you prefer
1 tbl. butter
1 tbl. flour
1 c. milk (or cream, or half and half)
1/2 c. grated swiss cheese
1/2 c. grated Irish cheddar


Preheat over to 425 degrees.

Crush garlic cloves. Place tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, and a dash of salt and pepper in oven-safe dish.

Bake tomatoes for 20-25 minutes, until they just begin to burst, stiring occassionally.

Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions.

In a saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour and let cook for about one minute. Add milk and let simmer for about 3 minutes, whisking frequently. Remove from heat and add grated cheese.

Add cooked pasta to cheese mixture.

Discard garlic from tomato mixture and add tomatoes to pasta and cheese.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve warm.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Copyright Tomatoes & Tequila, K. McNamara. Powered by Blogger.

Like us on Facebook

Blogs

Pages

Flickr Images