The Ferry Building

9:06 AM


In a couple weeks, they hubby and I are packing up and heading east, to Colorado. I am very excited for this new adventure. I am also very nervous. The winters, living in someplace other than California for the first time and leaving my family are just a few of the reasons that make moving far away a little scary.

And of course I will miss the food. San Francisco, along with other west coast communities, is utterly magnificent when it comes to food. We have access to the ocean, the central valley produce, northern bay area dairies, wine country and much more. The products available to San Franciscans is superb by any measure. Case and point: The Ferry Building.



I have worked accross the street from this building for 4 years and it is often considered one of the best farmer's markets in the country. Some of the permanent stands inside the building include:

  • Cow Girl Creamery
  • Hog Island Oyster Company
  • Sharffenberger Chocolate
  • Blue Bottle Coffee
Unfortunately, along with these renowned food vendors, comes high prices, big crowds, and (I hate to admit) a bit of snobbery. It is for this reason that I have mixed emotions at times about San Francisco food culture. The food itself is top notch to be sure, but San Franciscan's know it and aren't affraid to let everyone else know it. I wish this weren't the case - not everyone lives 1 hour from wine country and therefore doesn't know how to taste wine...so what?



So as I embark on my new adventure to Colorado, which may have less of a food culture than I am accostomed to, I want to remember not to stand up on my San Francisco soap box. I'd like to share my experiences with people instead, and hopefully meet some foodies who want to share with me too.



In addition to all this sentimental mumbo-jumbo about moving, there is the practical matter of what to cook when one's pantry is entirely comprised of matzo meal and graham crackers. I have been whittling away at my food reserves in preparation for the packing and as a result, my culinary escapades have been suffering more with each day. I am sure that when I get to Colorado, I will be bursting at the seams to cook. Until then, frozen tortellini it is.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Copyright Tomatoes & Tequila, K. McNamara. Powered by Blogger.

Like us on Facebook

Blogs

Pages

Flickr Images