Red Velvet Cookies for V-Day

6:48 AM


 This year for Valentine's day the hubby stepped up and said that he wanted to make dinner for me. Being the good wife that I am I said I would do dessert so as not to make him do all the work. He loves red velvet cake and it - being red and all - is so fitting for Valentine's day. However, I just wasn't up for a big baking project and the thought of frosting an entire cake was daunting. I also find that an entire cake for two people is a lot of sweet stuff in the house. 

So I found this recipe on Bakerella.com for Red Velvet Cookies that actually uses red velvet cake mix. I was totally up for using a boxed cake mix so making this was a no brainer. It was really easy and these turned out so delicious. My only complaint is that they aren't very elegant for a Valentine's day dinner - I tend to think of souffle's on V-day. But, that's what I get for not wanting a big baking project. 

These would also do well, I am sure, with any cake mix and any kind of frosting you like. 

RED VELVET COOKIE RECIPE
(bakerella.com)

Cookies
1 Box red velvet cake mix* (add 1/4c. extra flour for high altitude)
1/2 c. butter, softened to room temperature
2 Eggs 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Mix ingredients until combined
Drop spoonfuls of cookie batter onto baking sheet about two inches apart
Bake for 10-12 minutes
Cool

Cream Cheese Filling
1/2 c. butter, softened to room temperature
1 8 oz. Package cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1 1lb. Box of confectioner’s sugar
1 tsp Vanilla 


In a mixer, cream butter, cream cheese and vanilla. (I did not use the butter - I don't think you need it. I just add milk one tablespoon at a time until I get the thickness I want)Gradually add sugar and mix until smooth.
Makes about 24 cookies or 12 cookie sandwiches

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Krista! I am loving your blog :)

    I have made red velvet cookies, too, from a cake mix! They are so good!

    If you can't find the red velvet make mix, you can also use regular yellow cake mix, and add the cocoa powder, buttermilk, and food coloring that makes it pretty much red velvet.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright Tomatoes & Tequila, K. McNamara. Powered by Blogger.

Like us on Facebook

Blogs

Pages

Flickr Images