Handmade Papardelle with Bolognese

7:42 PM


I have a hard time finding unique pasta shapes. I can definitely get spaghetti, or fettuccine or penne. But what about when I want some bucatini or papardelle? Especially papardelle. It just might be my favorite pasta shape and I consider myself a connoisseur. We eat pasta at least once a week and papardelle is the perfect pasta for hearty winter sauces and roasted veggies. But the only papardelle I can find in grocery stores is egg based and way too thin, not semolina and at least an inch wide which I prefer.

So, after much sadness over never being able to find papardelle I decided I would just make my own. I was a little nervous as I don't have a pasta machine so I had to hand roll and cut my pasta. But as far as that goes, papardelle is definitely the easiest since it really is just a wide flat noodle.

To go with my excursion into the world of pasta making, I decided I needed a superb sauce to do the fresh pasta justice so I made Anne Burrell's bolognese. Between the pasta making and the time consuming bolognese this was an all afternoon project, but well worth it. The result was the most satisfying, filling winter meal I have had in a long time. And in all honesty, nothing in this meal was particularly difficult to make, just time consuming.

I think pasta making is a worth while endeavor for any serious home cook - it's just another technique to put in your repertoire and in the world of handmade pasta, papardelle is a great place to start. I recommend reading these instructions on pasta making from Jamie Oliver before beginning. I also recommend watching this video to help you see the consistency you are looking for in the pasta dough.

FRESH PASTA RECIPE
(Jamie Oliver)

100g flour for each person (per serving)
1 egg for each person (per serving)

Mix flour and egg in a food processor. Add flour and/or water until you get the desired consistency of thick breadcrumbs.

Dump out onto your counter and knead the dough until it becomes a tight, smooth ball.

Roll it out in a rectangle as thin as you can get it, then cut it into 1 inch thick, long strips. Put the strips in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes before using.

BOLOGNESE RECIPE
(Anne Burrell)
1 large onion or 2 small, cut into 1-inch dice
2 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch dice
3 ribs celery, cut into 1-inch dice
4 cloves garlic
Extra-virgin olive oil, for the pan
Kosher salt
3 pounds ground chuck, brisket or round or combination (I used turkey and veal since this is what I had on hand - use whatever you have)2 cups tomato paste
3 cups hearty red wine
Water
3 bay leaves
1 bunch thyme, tied in a bundle (I think the fresh thyme is critical, use fresh!)

In a food processor, puree onion, carrots, celery, and garlic into a coarse paste. In a large pan over medium heat, coat pan with oil. Add the pureed veggies and season generously with salt. Bring the pan to a medium-high heat and cook until all the water has evaporated and they become nice and brown, stirring frequently, about 15 to 20 minutes. Be patient, this is where the big flavors develop.

Add the ground beef and season again generously with salt.

Add the tomato paste and cook until brown about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the red wine. Cook until the wine has reduced by half, another 4 to 5 minutes.

Add water to the pan until the water is about 1 inch above the meat. Toss in the bay leaves and the bundle of thyme and stir to combine everything. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally. As the water evaporates you will gradually need to add more, about 2 to 3 cups at a time.
Season with salt, if needed (you probably will). Simmer for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. (Note: I simmered for three hours and felt that was enough time, but who am I to argue with Anne Burrell.)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Copyright Tomatoes & Tequila, K. McNamara. Powered by Blogger.

Like us on Facebook

Blogs

Pages

Flickr Images