Spicy Egg, Sausage & Cheese Breakfast Braid

7:33 AM

 
I have a tendency to really focus my culinary efforts on dinner. Even on the weekend, breakfast is basically overlooked. I eat a lot of oatmeal. I mean a lot. The hubby eats a lot of cereal. It just feels like a waste of time (and calories) to eat a large, decadent breakfast. I want to change that. Breakfast is so important and can be so lovely. I mean, eating a nice breakfast with a steaming cup of coffee on the weekend while browsing my cookbook collection is nearly euphoric. I also think a good breakfast on a week day can really get you off on the right foot.

This recipe fits the bill. I made this a couple of weeks ago on Sunday night, sliced it up and refrigerated it. Then, before I hopped in the shower on a work morning I popped a slice in the oven and by the time I was ready for breakfast, my delicious breakfast was heated through with a nice crispy crust and eggy filling. This is surprisingly healthy too - about 320 calories per serving (whole recipe serves 6, serving size 1 large slice)

This recipe would also be great for a wonderful weekend breakfast or brunch, especially for guests because it's really pretty. Yet because it uses store bought pizza dough, it is also really easy.

Lastly, I would bet this recipe freezes well - so make a few and freeze them up for later use. I am guessing to reheat you would just pop it back in the oven at about 325 until it is heated through.

Yay for REAL Breakfast!


SPICY EGG, SAUSAGE & CHEESE BREAKFAST BRAID RECIPE
(Cooking Light)
1 (13.8-ounce) can refrigerated pizza crust dough
Cooking spray
1 tbl. olive oil
1/4 c. chopped onion
4 oz. chicken sausage with jalapeño peppers, chopped
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 c. (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 c. chopped seeded jalapeño peppers (substitute spicy salsa if you don't feel like chopping one more thing)
1 large egg white, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 425°.

Unroll dough onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; pat into a 15 x 10–inch rectangle.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sausage; cook 9 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in eggs; cook 1 1/2 minutes or until set. Remove from heat.

Sprinkle Monterey Jack lengthwise down center of dough, leaving about a 2 1/2-inch border on each side. Spoon egg mixture evenly over cheese. Sprinkle cheddar over egg mixture; top with jalapeño peppers.

Make 2-inch-long diagonal cuts about 1 inch apart on both sides of dough to within 1/2 inch of filling using a sharp knife or kitchen shears. Arrange strips over filling, alternating strips diagonally over filling. Press ends under to seal. Brush with egg white. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut crosswise into slices. (At this point, either serve, refrigerate or freeze. I refrigerated and reheated mine during the work week for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees - So easy)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Copyright Tomatoes & Tequila, K. McNamara. Powered by Blogger.

Like us on Facebook

Blogs

Pages

Flickr Images