Kauai

7:48 PM


Have you ever really needed a vacation? Like, really, really needed a vacation? Well, that's how I have been feeling for the last six months or so. I'm not sure what it was - just the combination of the last year and a half of my life - move from California, new job, the hubby got a new job, move from Monument to Denver, making new friends, building my social circle from scratch, etc. Little by little, each of those things built up and I found myself just really needing a break. I needed some time to re-group, and get my head back in the game. On our trip to Kauai last week, I rediscovered my motivation and feel ready to get back to work, and make my life as lovely and enjoyable as ever.


Kauai was amazing. The hubby and I went to Maui for our honeymoon, so returning to Hawaii (though Kauai and Maui are very different) felt like returning to a comfortable place. Kauai is the Hawaii of your dreams. It is lush, tropical, green and exceptionally stunning. We spent the week laying by the beach, hiking, and drinking cocktails in the sunset. I feel really spoiled that I get to do such wonderful things and see such wonderful places.


We stayed in Poipu which is on the south side of the island. While Poipu is not as beautiful as the north shore, it is still really lovely and much easier. Grocery stores are not hard to find, nor is a great beach and a reasonable deal on a hotel. Additionally, it is drier. The north shore of Kauai gets a huge amount of rain and by staying in the south you are upping your chances of good weather.
Here are some good finds from Kauai:
  • Keoki's Paradise: Centrally located in Poipu. Try the sliders and especially the Mango Margarita - not too sweet, just perfect. Some folks don't like Keoki's and true, it can be touristy and over the top. But for a cool drink and easy meal, its great.
  • Living Foods Market: Very expensive but the best selection of good cheeses and bread on the island. Good wine selection as well.
  • Living Foods Market Cafe: Try the brioche french toast for breakfast, yum.
  • The Grand Hyatt Poipu: We had drinks on the terrace. Good drinks, great view. The grounds are beautiful as well so just a stroll is great.

Hopefully, these photos do Kauai justice.


 














You Might Also Like

0 comments

Copyright Tomatoes & Tequila, K. McNamara. Powered by Blogger.

Like us on Facebook

Blogs

Pages

Flickr Images