Bean and Sausage Soup

6:11 AM



I'm really into soups lately, for a couple reasons. They are often an entire meal in bowl - both nutritious and satisfying. And, they are cheap which has recently become a necessary factor of my recipe collection. This is because I just quit my job (which I am very happy about). So while I have more time to cook, I have less money to do it with. No worries though, I am a firm believer that by eating seasonally and making good shopping choices one can eat well and frugally.



My first experiment with my new approach was Bean and Sausage Soup and I have to say - I am in love with it. It is so rich and filling, and easy on the wallet.

BEAN AND SAUSAGE SOUP RECIPE
(The Essential Pasta Cookbook)

4 Italian Sausages
2 tsp. olive oil
2 leeks, sliced (I didn't have leeks on hand so I used one medium red onion, diced)
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 large carrot, chopped into small cubes
2 celery sticks, sliced
2 tbl. flour
2 beef stock cubes
8 c. hot water
1/2 c. white wine
4oz. conchiglie (shell pasta)
14oz can three-bean mix (to save money, I purchased white beans in the bag and followed the directions for soaking over night)

Heat oil in a large soup pot and add sausage, breaking up into pieces. Cook for 5 minutes or until browned.  Remove the sausage from pan and drain on a paper towel.

Add the leek (or onion), carrot, celery and garlic to the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until soft.

Add the flour and stir for one minute. Gradually add the water, stock cubes, and wine to pot. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

Add the pasta and beans to the pan. Increase the heat and cook for 8-10 minutes until the pasta is cooked.

Return the sausage to the pot. Taste for salt and pepper.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Copyright Tomatoes & Tequila, K. McNamara. Powered by Blogger.

Like us on Facebook

Blogs

Pages

Flickr Images