Split Pea and Ham Soup

5:34 PM


It's funny how much our tastes change as we grow older. Some of my least favorite things as a child included stewed tomatoes (hated the texture), any kind of onion (even cooked IN something), and definitely Split Pea soup - which was reminiscent of the slime used on my favorite Nickelodeon shows.

And yet, I find myself today so dearly attached to stewed tomatoes and onions (especially red) that I will put them in/on/next to anything I possibly can. However, Split Pea soup hasn't been as successful in integrating itself into my life. I have never made it, and eaten it perhaps once or twice. 



Tonight I decided to put my childish food phobias behind me and decided to actually give Split Pea soup the benefit of the doubt and made a whole pot of it. Okay fine, I had peas, I had ham, I was hungry...I wasn't really facing any food phobias as much as I was trying to use the food in my kitchen instead of head to the grocery store. Either way - soup was made, and I must say, it was delightful. 

I especially enjoy the color. What I once thought looked like the color of vomit (gross, I know), I now think looks sort of retro and even slightly chic. 



 I also made a loaf of (no-knead) french bread - this stuff is crazy good  - the recipe for which I got from family friends. They are the real deal too, actually from France.

The soup recipe is my own so its what I assume Split Pea and Ham Soup to be like - enjoy!

SPLIT PEA AND HAM SOUP RECIPE
(makes about 6 servings)

1 carrot, roughly chopped
1/2 onion, any color you like, roughly chopped
1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
1 tbl. butter
1 tbl. olive oil
4 c. water
3 tsp. chicken bouillon
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 bay leaf
2 cans peas, drained and rinsed
1 c. cubed pre-cooked ham (I used turkey ham, which has a lot less calories and was very good)

Heat oil and butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add carrot, onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent, about 10 minutes.

Add water, bouillon cubes, pepper and bay leaf to pot. Stir to combine. Lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes. 

Meanwhile, cube ham and set aside.

Add peas to pot, heat through. 

Remove the bay leaf. Ladle about half of the soup mixture into a blender and blend until just liquefied, leaving the mixture slightly thick. Pour mixture into a bowl. Repeat with second half of soup mixture.
Add soup back to pot and put back over medium heat. Add ham and heat through. 

Serve warm.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Copyright Tomatoes & Tequila, K. McNamara. Powered by Blogger.

Like us on Facebook

Blogs

Pages

Flickr Images