Roasted Buttercup Squash Pasta

6:52 PM


You know when you walk into the grocery store in the middle of fall and the first thing you see in the produce section is a huge display of winter squash? Does anyone know what all that squash actually is...? I mean, is it edible? What do you  call all those varieties? Why do some of them look like a science experiment gone wrong? 



I  decided it was high-time I made acquaintance with the array of squash I have so long avoided. So as not to venture too far into squash-land, I decided to make a roasted ButterNUT squash dish - the least scary and most used of the winter squashes.

And wouldn't you know it - the grocery store was out of Butternut squash. "I'm sorry, did you say you are OUT of Butternut squash? You expect me to take home that mutant looking one over there!?! I think not!"

After about 10 minutes pacing around the squash display I finally settled on a very cute, not at all mutant looking specimen to replace my beloved and oh-so-common Butternut - the ButterCUP squash. I know what you are thinking, "Whoa, Krista - don't get too crazy there!" But people, squash seriously scares me and Rome wasn't built in a day - I need to ease my way into this.



And the verdict - not bad, not great. Maybe I am just not a winter squash person. It was mild and sweet and if you like winter squash, I am guessing this one would be a hit. The dish itself was very simple, perhaps overly so, so maybe with a different recipe I would like it better. You be the judge!

ROASTED BUTTERCUP SQUASH PASTA RECIPE

1 Buttercup squash, halved with the seeds removed
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 tbl. olive oil
1 tbl. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 oz. fettuccine pasta
1/4 c. grated Parmesan
1 tbl. olive oil

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 

Put 1/2 c. water into a baking dish and place squash cut-side down into water. In another baking dish, place chopped onion with olive oil, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Place both dishes in the oven. 

Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions and strain.

Remove the onions after 30 minutes. Remove the squash after 40 minutes, or when fork tender.

Cut squash from rind and cube. Place pasta, squash, onions and parmesan in a large bowl. Drizzle olive oil over the pasta. Serve warm.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Copyright Tomatoes & Tequila, K. McNamara. Powered by Blogger.

Like us on Facebook

Blogs

Pages

Flickr Images