Grilled Fish Tacos with Chipotle-Lime Sauce

9:05 PM


I find the sounds, smells and to-do's of Sunday to be therapeutic. The washing machine churning, the dish washer swishing, the vacuum grumbling, the hiss of steam from my iron, the smell of a freshly cleaned kitchen. That on top of looking at my stocked fridge and to-do list with lots of items crossed out in big black sharpie marker signifying that "I get things done!" is utterly calming.

Then, after all the doing gets done, and the cleaning is finished, and the washing machine quiets, we make dinner. And it makes me happy. I simply love being in my kitchen, in my clean apartment, with nothing left on the to-do list except, "make dinner," and "watch movie." This is when I truly relax. The other 98% of my life I am running a perpetual list through my head of the should have/need to/next time/don't forget.

So, last Sunday we made these fish tacos and they were truly the cherry on top of a wonderful Sunday. SO GOOD. Light, summery, healthy, and easy. Definitely fits all of my requirements.

I found this recipe in an America's Test Kitchen; Cooking for Two (2009) cookbook I checked out from the library. Cooking for two (or one) can be tough and this cookbook breaks it all down so it doesn't seem like so much work for just two people. For example, they have sidebars throughout the book that point out ways to use up leftover ingredients from a recipe, so you waste little. There is a section for "Fancy Dinners," which can feel like so much work for one or two people. There are also sections for healthier dishes and using up what you have in your pantry - both are things I think about frequently. 

GRILLED FISH TACOS WITH CHIPOTLE-LIME MAYO
(America's Test Kitchen, Cooking for Two, 2009)


serves two


1/4 small head of cabbage (about 4 oz), shredded (also feel free to buy pre-packaged coleslaw)
3 tbl. chopped, fresh cilantro
1 1/2 tbl. fresh lime juice
1 tbl. vegetable oil
Salt and pepper
1/3 c. mayonnaise (I used light)
1-2 tsp. minced canned chipotle in adobo sauce
1 small garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. chili powder
2 (6-8oz) skinless mahi-mahi fillets, about 1 inch think (I used tilapia)
4-6 corn tortillas ( I STRONGLY recommend La Tortilla brand)

Toss the cabbage, 2 tablespoons of the cilantro, 1 tablespoon of the lime juice, 1 teaspoon of the oil, 1/8 teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper together in a bowl and set aside for serving. In  a separate bowl, combine the remaining 1 tablespoon cilantro and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice with the mayonnaise, chipotles and garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside for serving.

Combine the chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a bowl. Pat the mahi-mahi fillets dry with paper towels, then brush with 1 teaspoon more oil and rub evenly with spice mixture.

On a gas grill, turn all the burners to high, cover, heat grill until hot.

Clean and oil the cooking grate. Gently place the mahi-mahi on the grill and cook, covered, until the fish is opaque and flakes apart when gently prodded. Gently flip when half-way through (NOTE: Are you listening? This is huge...DON'T TOUCH YOUR FOOD ON THE GRILL. Leave it alone. Every time you touch food on a grill you are releasing moisture. Especially with beef - set it and forget it!!!!) 

Remove fish and tent loosely with foil to keep warm. Meanwhile, place tortillas on grill off of direct heat and heat until crispy on the outside and heated through.

To serve, smear each tortilla with mayo mixture, top with cabbage and fish.

ENJOY!



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Copyright Tomatoes & Tequila, K. McNamara. Powered by Blogger.

Like us on Facebook

Blogs

Pages

Flickr Images