Lentil Salad with Asparagus and Arugula

8:28 PM


This past weekend was a friend's 30th birthday. My sister will be 30 this year as will my husband. I find that when people around me turn 30, it makes me feel old. I met my husband when he was 20...20 people! That is a decade ago! I just don't understand where the time goes.

It's like one day I am a carefree college student worried about whether my friends and I should make regular or strawberry margaritas, and how late I can stay out and still do okay on my test tomorrow, to suddenly, Did we pay that bill? and Shouldn't we be saving for a house? and oh by the way I need to figure out what the heck I am doing with my life.

I feel like real life is this secret that the "grown-ups" in your world keep from you until you are 22 and then it's like, "Surprise!!! Welcome to real life! ... p.s., it kind of sucks so good luck!"

I find that when I start to feel the burdens of being a grown-up, the best thing to do is just embrace it and make the fun times that much more fun. I can't change the fact that I should be saving for a house and that I have to pay my bills, but, I can embrace the good times I have with my family and friends.

So that's what I did. Totally embraced a wonderful, crazy Saturday to celebrate my friend's birthday.

And, to balance out my crazy Saturday I made this healthy, very-adult like salad. Which also happened to be delicious. I got several requests from the party-goers for this recipe. Enjoy!

LENTIL SALAD WITH ASPARAGUS AND ARUGULA RECIPE
(Not Without Salt)

1 c. green lentils
4 c. arugula
½ c. parsley
½ c. olive oil
1 garlic clove, peeled
1 tbl. red wine vinegar
1 tsp. lemon zest
1 bunch asparagus
Salt and pepper
Parmeson

Wash the lentils then simmer in a saucepan covered with plenty of water. Simmer until tender but not mushy – about 15 minutes. Drain any remaining water after cooking.

While the lentils cook put half the arugula, the parsley, oil, garlic, vinegar, lemon zest and a hearty pinch of salt and pepper in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Process until smooth. Taste and add more salt if needed or a squeeze of lemon.

Add this pesto to the warm lentils then set aside. Taste again and add salt if needed, most likely it will need it.

Roast or grill the asparagus until charred in places and cooked through. Cut into 1-2” inch pieces.

Toss the asparagus and remaining arugula with the lentils. Top with plenty of shaved pecorino. Serve immediately or at room temperature.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Copyright Tomatoes & Tequila, K. McNamara. Powered by Blogger.

Like us on Facebook

Blogs

Pages

Flickr Images