Wonton Chicken Tacos

7:25 AM


So this is really weird, but, I get anxious when my fridge is too full. When I waste food, I feel like I am wasting money. Anyone who knows me will tell you this is basically my worst fear. Worse than vampires, or zombies, or space aliens taking over the planet. I am what one might call...umm...cheap. I like to think of myself as frugal, but who are we kidding, that's just debating semantics. When I feel the "too-full-fridge" fear (aka, major tightwad issues)  coming on, I know it's time to ensure I am using recipes that use lots of stuff I already have on hand. So, I start scouring all my cookbooks looking for recipes that require me to purchase only one or two things, at most.

In this effort, the hubby found this recipe for wonton chicken tacos. I had every single one of the ingredients except for cabbage/cole slaw, including an abundance of left over slow cooker chicken and frozen wonton wrappers. I love when that happens. In addition to already having most of the ingredients, the recipe was called "Sassy Wonton Tacos," and the hubby decided that we needed to make anything with the word "sassy" in the title. Weird.

On a side note, wonton wrappers freeze incredibly well. I just let them defrost in the fridge slowly over a day or so and they were like new.

Turned out these little suckers were awesome. Flavorful, easy, and healthy. We doubled up on the wonton wrappers, using two for each taco, to avoid breakage. These would also make a great appetizer or good football-watching-food. If you don't want to do "Asian" flavors, try mixing things up and going for more Mexican flavors with salsa instead of bbq sauce and cheese/sour cream instead of cabbage.

WONTON CHICKEN TACO RECIPE
(health.com)

Nonstick cooking spray
8 wonton wrappers
4 ounces cooked, shredded skinless chicken breast (1 cup)
2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
3/4 cup packaged coleslaw mix
2 tablespoons low-fat sesame ginger dressing (I didn't have any Asian dressings on hand so I just made up my own using rice vinegar, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, red chili sauce, and garlic - even just plain old soy sauce would be fine)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Preheat oven to 400°. Spray inside and outside walls of a deep square pan with nonstick cooking spray. Drape wonton wrappers over the pan's walls on a diagonal, making triangle-shaped "shells." Bake until crispy (3-4 minutes). Remove pan from oven; cool. Combine chicken with barbecue sauce in a bowl. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine coleslaw mix, sesame ginger dressing, and cilantro. Microwave until softened (45 seconds); set aside. Carefully remove wonton shells from pan; fill each with 1 tablespoon of barbecue chicken and 1 teaspoon of cilantro slaw. On a baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray, lay filled wontons on sides. Spray tops of wonton shells lightly with nonstick cooking spray; bake until warm and crunchy (5 minutes).

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Copyright Tomatoes & Tequila, K. McNamara. Powered by Blogger.

Like us on Facebook

Blogs

Pages

Flickr Images