Strawberry Scones

10:40 AM



Is there anything better than a lovely breakfast on the weekend? The hubby and I got ambitious this morning and went all out - eggs, bacon, and strawberry scones.

I nearly messed up the scones - don't worry though, crisis averted. I used a simple basic scone recipe from Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, you know, the one we all have but don't use much. Anyway, I added defrosted, macerated frozen strawberries which created all too much moisture as scone dough should be very dry. After adding the strawberries and seeing the mess I had created, I furiously added more flour but the dough was still too moist to knead and cut into triangles. So, I threw the whole lump of dough into a spring form pan, baked as normal and sliced it when it had cooled. I actually think I like this method better since I hate dealing with too much gooey dough on the counter top as a traditional method would have you do.

PLAIN SCONE RECIPE
(Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook)

2 1/2 c. Flour
2 tbl. sugar
1 tbl. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 c. butter
2 eggs, beaten (I used egg beaters that I had on hand)
3/4 c. whipping cream (I used low-fat buttermilk, its lower in calories and has a nice tang)

Preheat oven to 400F. degrees.

In a large bowl (I highly recommend using a food processor for this instead) combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender (this is where the food processor is easier) cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs - or in my case, just run the food processor for about a minute and then dump the mixture into a large bowl.

In a medium bowl combine eggs and 3/4c. whipping cream (or buttermilk). Add the egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. This is where I added about 1c. defrosted macerated strawberries - you could add anything you want, scones are a blank canvas for ingredients. Using a fork, mix until just combined. I added about 3/4c. more flour since the strawberries were so full of moisture, the dough should be dry.

Spray a 10 inch spring form pan with cooking spray. Dump dough into spring form pan and push to edges. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool before cutting.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Copyright Tomatoes & Tequila, K. McNamara. Powered by Blogger.

Like us on Facebook

Blogs

Pages

Flickr Images